Monday, October 13, 2008

Pressing Question

So last night Holly and I were watching an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition that we had on Tivo.  To be fully truthful we were trying not to watch the Phillies stink up the joint out in LA.  Anyways, we're sitting there getting wrapped up in this story of a mother of 4 who took in her sister's 10 kids after her sister died from cancer.  (A pretty crazy thing in and of itself.)  As we watched our emotions are really building up in compassion for this family and all that they have been through the past year or so and out of no where Holly's leg kick up like she's having a spasm.  It really caught us both by surprise since we in the midst of this heavy moment but Holly claims that the baby had the hiccups.  Over the course of the next few minutes Holly experienced this sensation over and over again every few seconds.

Now if you know Holly this is truly par for the course.  Holly does not do too well with heavy emotional situations and usually reacts to those situations in the way that is culturally unacceptable.  Here are a few examples:  Holly and her mom tell a story of when they were at a funeral and something out of the oridnary happens and Holly starts silently laughing uncontrollably but visibly shaking.  Holly's mom is trying to get her to settle down and in turn grabs her leg above the knee, squeezes it and pushes Holly's head below the pew so as to not draw any more attention.  Which of course causes Holly to laugh even harder.

Here's another one.  After we had just gotten married we were praying together one night and I wanted for us to recite the Lord's Prayer together.  We get about two lines into it and Holly starts laughing.  How is it that I am the one able to feel emotions in these times since I'm the one who is more stoic by nature?

Here's my concluding question.  Was Holly really feeling that baby or just diverting attention away from the present situation?  Those of you who know her well chime in and let me know what you think.

By the way, we'll be 20 weeks this Thursday so look for updated pics this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Hey guys- I have problems with uncontrollable laughing at inappropriate times too! I was in a friend's wedding and the groom said "With this WING...I thee wed" and I think I was the only one that heard it. I lost it and could NOT stop laughing! I held a kleenex up to my face and everyone thought I was crying in joy for this holy union but really, I was trying to compose myself and get it together! LOL

    Can't wait to see more pics of the BELL-LEHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm the same way, I'm going to go with the hiccup theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the baby is like his/her mom and has inappropriate reactions to overly emotional times, thus getting the hiccups at the height of this dramatic moment. Did you ever think of that? Maybe this time it wasn't Hozz at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you saying that our baby is going to be just like Holly? If that is so I guess life will be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Jared meant to say is if our baby is just like me then his life will be very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that bit of clarification babe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, as someone who was also involved in the inappropriate funeral laughter, trust me...Holly can't be blamed for that one. It was hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete